Omaha Girls Rock has many great opportunities if you would like to volunteer. YOU DO NOT NEED ANY MUSICAL EXPERIENCE!! Please refer to the volunteer descriptions below and see if there is a position that fits you!
Band Coach: Music experience important. Band coaches will work directly with campers in a band to facilitate song creation and performance.
• On the first day of camp, the campers form bands and each band is assigned a band coach. The coach
provides help and guidance with all aspects of working as a group:
• Setting up, tuning, songwriting, learning how to play together, working together
constructively, figuring out stage moves, etc.
• Must be available every day during camp week, either morning or/and afternoons during camp week and
at the showcase concert on Saturday.
Instrument Instructor: Music experience required. Our campers possess a varying range of skill levels – some have been playing for years, many have never touched a musical instrument in their lives.
• Instructors are responsible for planning classes and creating a supportive learning environment for the
campers. Classes usually include a combination: team-teaching larger groups of students along with solo
teaching in smaller groups.
• Must be available every morning during camp week.
Roadie: Music/technical experience preferred. Work directly with Instrument Director to help set up, break down, and move equipment throughout the week.
• Responsibilities include setting up the camp site, reconfiguring rooms for band practice every day, helping
with load-in/out on showcase day, etc.
Workshop Leader: No music experience necessary. We offer a range of workshops from self-defense to songwriting to t-shirt making to media literacy. We’re also open to new ideas about workshops that we haven’t offered before.
• Workshop leaders are responsible for developing a one-hour session on their topic and teaching one or
more times during the week.
• Workshops often involve team-teaching. Must be available 3-4 hours during camp week, flexible schedule.
Counselor: No music experience necessary
• Assigned to work with specific band in a support role
• Assigned to specific workshops to support facilitator
• Assigned to lunch duty and general supervision
Crisis Team Member: No music experience necessary. Work with and assist campers, coaches, instructors and counselors relating to specific concerns:
• A camper tells a volunteer/staff member that she is in physical danger
• A camper is concerned about another who is in physical danger
• A camper relates concerning information (drug, alcohol, depression) that is not being addressed at home.
• A volunteer, camper, family member passes away or is injured
• Any circumstance beyond the typical.
• Work closely with counselors and campers who need breaks or breathers from instrument or band practice.
• Assist other staff members in completing an Incident Report